Providence, R.I.--Senior forward Ben Vezele (Providence, RI) recorded his third double-double of the season with 15 points and 14 rebounds as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team defeated Elms, 101-77, in their home opener at The Murray Center on Thursday evening.
Rhode Island College 101, Elms College 77
Rhode Island College (4-0)
Elms College (1-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Freshman guard Shion Darby (Peekskill, NY) continued his hot start to the season as he poured in a game-high 27 points to go along with four assists.
• The first half started slow for the Anchormen as they did not get into rhythm on the offensive side of things. As the half progressed, so did the offense. Junior guard Keyshaun Jacobs (Lynn, MA) led the Anchormen with 12 points in the 20 minutes.
• The Anchormen held the Blazers to 4-for-11 shooting from three-point range in the first half and carried a 43-36 lead into halftime..
• As the second half began, the Anchormen stepped up on the defensive end, which caused turnover after turnover. The full court press stumped the Blazers as they forfeited the ball 16 times over the course of the second half.
• RIC's held its largest lead of the night at 27 points, 97-70, during the second half and easily closed out Elms to stay undefeated on the season.
• Jacobs finished the night with 24 points, five rebounds, two steals and one assist. Sophomore guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) filled the stat sheet with 25 points, eight rebounds, four assists, four steals and one block.
• Elms sophomore guard Kewan Smoot (Windsor, CT) led the way for the Blazers with 16 points and five assists.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 49 percent (39-for-80) from the field, 27 percent (8-for-30) from three-point range and 79 percent (15-for-19) from the free throw line.
• Elms shot 46 percent (30-for-66) from the field, 35 percent (9-for-26) from downtown and 38 percent (8-for-21) from the foul line.
• RIC outscored EC in the paint, 62-34, and held the advantage on points off turnovers, 39-8.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Brandeis on Saturday, Nov. 23 (3 p.m.).