West Hartford, Conn.--Freshman guard Shion Darby (Peekskill, NY) recorded a career-high 36 points to go along with six rebounds and three assists as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team sailed past the University of Saint Joseph's (CT), 92-68, at the O'Connell Center on Saturday evening.
Rhode Island College 92, St. Joseph's 68
Rhode Island College (2-0)
St. Joseph's (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENEND
• RIC jumped out to an early, 15-5, lead with the help of three, three-point field goals by junior guard Keyshaun Jacobs (Lynn, MA) that sparked the Anchormen offense.
• The Anchormen held a lead as large as 26, 49-23, in the first half after senior forward Ben Vezele (Providence, RI) knocked down a pair of free throws.
• The Anchormen led at the half, 49-27. Jacobs led all scorers in the opening frame with 17 points. Darby had 14, while Vezele chipped in with 13.
• The second half appeared closer on paper than it did on the court. RIC outscored USJ, 43-41, in the second frame. The Anchormen pushed their lead to as many as 33 points, 72-39, in the final 20 before eventually closing out the Blue Jays, 92-68.
• Jacobs finished the game with 25 points and three rebounds. He knocked down a game-high seven three-pointers. Vezele wrapped up the game with 17 points, seven rebounds, two assists, two steals and one block.
• Sophomore guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Delshawn Jackson, Jr (Hartford, CT) paced the Blue Jays with 29 points to go along with two rebounds, two assists and a steal.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 49 percent (32-for-66) from the field, 39 percent (12-for-31) from behind the three-point arc and 76 percent (16-for-21) from the charity stripe.
• USJ shot 33 percent (24-for-72) from the field, 19 percent (4-for-21) from three-point land and 70 percent (16-for-23) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded USJ, 45-44.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Fitchburg State on Tuesday, Nov. 19 (6 p.m.).