Kingston, R.I.—Senior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) posted a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds as Rhode Island College fell, 93-55, at Div. I University of Rhode Island in an exhibition game played at The Ryan Center on Saturday evening.
University of Rhode Island 93, Rhode Island College 55
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchormen took a 7-6 lead after a three-pointer by junior guard Keyshaun Jacobs (Lynn, MA) with 16:33 left in the first half.
• The Rams went on a 12-0 run, holding the Anchormen scoreless for 3:01, to build a 12-point, 19-7, lead.
• Freshman guard Shion Darby (Peekskill, NY) made a layup with 13:32 remaining to stop the URI run.
• A Jacobs free throw with 11:46 left on the clock pulled RIC within eight, 22-14, but that would be as close as the visitors would get in the first half.
• URI increased its advantage to double digits and a pair of sophomore forward Jermaine Harris (Upper Marlboro, MD) free throws put the Rams on top by 27, 48-21, with just under two minutes left to play in the opening stanza.
• The Rams took a 52-23 lead into halftime. The Rams shot 50 percent (19-for-38) from the field and outrebounded the Anchormen, 29-19, in the opening 20.
• Jacobs scored nine points, while Darby netted seven, in the first half. Junior guard Fatts Russell (Philadelphia, PA) had 11 points and five boards to pace the hosts.
• A sophomore guard Tyrese Martin (Allentown, PA) layup with 16:28 left in the second half put URI ahead by 33, 61-28.
• A pair of Darby free throws and two layup by Vezele pulled RIC within 29, 66-37, with 14:40 left.
• Two free throws by Vezele with 13:38 left in the game made it a 66-43 deficit for the Anchormen.
• Jacobs sank back-to-back treys at 10:25 and 10:02 to spark the Anchormen's offense and climb within 24, 75-51.
• Martin drove to the hoop and converted a layup with 6:17 left to put URI ahead by a convincing margin, 81-51.
• Both teams played their reserves the final three minutes as the Rams picked up the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 28 percent (19-for-68) from the field, 20 percent (9-for-46) from three-point range and 50 percent (8-for-16) from the free throw line.
• URI shot 46 percent (34-for-74) from the field, 21 percent (4-for-19) from downtown and 70 percent (21-for-30) from the free throw line.
• URI held the advantage in rebounding, 62-39. URI committed 11 turnovers, while the Anchormen committed 17 miscues.
• Jacobs finished with 18 points to lead the Anchormen, while Darby chipped in with 15. Senior guard Jonatan Batista (Providence, RI) handed out six assists.
• Martin finished with 22 points (on 9-for-13 shooting), eight boards, three assists, two blocks and a pair of steals for the Rams. Russell contributed 17 points, nine boards and seven assists.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will open the 2019-20 season at Eastern Nazarene on Monday, Nov. 11 (7 p.m.).