Providence, R.I.—Senior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) recorded a double-double with a game-high 24 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Rhode Island College men's basketball team to a 76-62 victory over Western Connecticut in a Little East Conference game at the Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 76, Western Connecticut 62
Rhode Island College (7-2, 1-1 LEC)
Western Connecticut (4-3, 0-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) scored 22 points to go along with nine rebounds. Freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) chipped in with 10 points, seven rebounds, three steals and three assists.
• Senior forward Aaron Samuel (Stratford, CT) paced Western Connecticut with a team-best 14 points and 10 rebounds. Junior guard Ronald Jefferson (Brooklyn, NY) tallied 10 points and six boards in the setback for the Colonials.
• The two teams traded baskets early and the score was tied, 16-16, with 7:36 left in the first half.
• RIC then used a 11-2 run, capped by a three-pointer from Floyd, to take a 27-16 advantage with 3:14 left in the half.
• RIC held a 31-20 advantage at halftime after holding Western Connecticut to just 22.9 percent (8-for-35) shooting from the field.
• RIC pushed the lead up to 22 points, 60-38, on a pair of free throws from Vezele with just under 10 minutes left on the clock.
• WCSU closed the gap to 11 points after a layup from Samuel made the score, 61-50, with 5:32 remaining. The Anchormen then converted free throws and wound down the clock to even their conference record.
BY THE NUMBERS
• WCSU shot 37.3 percent (25-of-67) from the field, 30.8 percent (4-of-13) from the three-point line and 66.7 percent (8-of-12) from the free throw line.
• RIC shot 37.9 percent (25-of-66) from the field, 30.3 percent (10-of-33) from the three-point line and 61.5 percent (16-of-26) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded WCSU by a 47-43 margin.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Regis on Monday, Dec. 3 (6 p.m.).