Providence, R.I.--First-year Head Coach Tom Glynn picked up his first win at the helm of the Rhode Island College men's basketball team as he guided the Anchormen to an impressive, 87-64, victory against Fitchburg State in the 2018-19 season-opener for both clubs played at The Murray Center on Thursday evening.
Rhode Island College 87, Fitchburg State 64
Rhode Island College (1-0)
Fitchburg State (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) scored a team-high 21 points and added nine rebounds, five blocks and three steals.
• Senior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) posted a double-double with 19 points and 11 rebounds for the Anchormen.
• Sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) notched 18 points and added seven rebounds, two blocks and two steals while freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) was also in double figures with 11 points, eight boards and four assists in the victory.
• Junior guard Tyrell St. John (Stamford, CT) paced Fitchburg State with 17 points, while junior Kewan Platt (Jamaica Plains, MA) was also in double figures with 15 points and seven boards.
• RIC controlled the action from the beginning and raced out to a 15 point lead when a free throw from Campbell put the Anchormen up, 26-11, with 10:42 left in the first half.
• The Anchormen built on their lead throughout the first half and took a45-28 advantage heading into halftime.
• RIC pushed the lead to 29 points after a pair of free throws from Tengbeh made the score 69-40 with 9:49 left on the clock as the hosts bled the clock en route to the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 41.0 percent (25-of-61) from the field, 26.1 percent (6-of-23) from the three-point line and 83.8 percent (31-of-37) from the free throw line.
• Fitchburg State shot 28.4 percent (21-of-74) from the field, 27.3 percent (6-of-22) from the three-point line and 69.6 percent (16-of-23) from the free throw line.
• There were a total of 45 fouls (23 for Fitchburg State; 22 for RIC) and 60 free throws (23 for FSU; 37 for RIC) in the game.
• RIC outrebounded Fitchburg State by a 49-46 margin.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Elms on Saturday, Nov. 10 (4 p.m.).