Providence, R.I.—Junior shortstop Rommy Morey (Providence, RI) went 2-for-4 with one run scored and an RBI to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to a, 4-3, victory against Eastern Connecticut in a Little East Conference contest at Pontarelli Field on Tuesday afternoon. The Anchormen, who defeated the Warriors, 10-0 (seven innings), on March 26, complete the season sweep.
Rhode Island College 4, Eastern Connecticut 3
RIC (24-13, 8-6 LEC)
ECSU (19-16, 7-8 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC was led by senior designated hitter Tyler Calabro (Cumberland, RI) who went 1-for-3 with one run scored and an RBI, while junior center fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) was 1-for-3 with two RBI.
• Senior left fielder Ryan Hood (Arlington, MA) paced Eastern Connecticut, going 1-for-4 with one run scored and two RBI in the setback.
• Freshman Connor Davey (Cheshire, CT) earned the win (5-1) for RIC, allowing three runs on nine hits with five strikeouts in 8.1 innings of work. Junior reliever Jake Rockefeller (Cumberland, RI) earned the save (4) for the Anchormen, picking up the last two outs in the top of the ninth to secure the victory for RIC.
• Sophomore Zach Player (East Hampton, CT) took the loss (2-1) for Eastern Connecticut, allowing four runs on five hits with seven strikeouts in 5.2 innings of work.
• After a pitchers' duel kept the game scoreless through the first four innings, Eastern Connecticut was able to get on the board in the top of the fifth on an RBI single from junior right fielder Jake LeFevre (Mansfield Center, CT).
• RIC got on the board in the bottom of the second when a two-out single from Calabro plated junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) to knot the game, 1-1.
• Junior catcher Nick Feola (North Providence, RI) then scored on an RBI single from Morel to give the Anchormen a 2-1 lead. Silva then extended RIC's advantage with a two-run single to center to put the hosts up by three, 4-1, after six innings of play.
• ECSU cut into the lead in the top of the seventh when a two run single from Hood made the score, 4-3. Rockefeller came in for Davey and slammed the door in the ninth to secure the win.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will close out the regular season with a Little East doubleheader at UMass Dartmouth on Friday, May 3 (noon).