Providence, R.I.—UMass Boston swept a doubleheader from Rhode Island College on Saturday afternoon at Pontarelli Field. The Beacons came from behind to win, 8-6 (10 innings) in game one, then took the nightcap, 10-1.
• Senior pitcher Sam Alkins (East Greenwich, RI), senior outfielder/pitcher Tyler Calabro (Cumberland, RI) and senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) were honored in between games as part of Senior Day 2019.
Game One: UMass Boston 8, Rhode Island College 6 (10 innings)
Game Two: UMass Boston 10, Rhode Island College 1
UMass Boston (22-10, 9-3 LEC)
Rhode Island College (23-13, 7-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Beacons jumped out a 1-0 lead in the top of the first on senior designated hitter Kyle Boudrias' (Medford, MA) solo homer.
• The Anchormen equaled the score in the home half of the frame on junior third baseman Ryan Rotondo's (Warwick, RI) solo blast.
• The Beacons built a 4-1 advantage in the top of the third, paced by a senior right fielder Nick Herzog's (Riverhead, NY) two-run bomb.
• RIC put runs across in the fifth, on a Walsh homer, and in the seventh, on a junior shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) bases loaded RBI walk, to go up by a pair, 6-4.
• The Anchormen had two-down in the ninth, but a two-run double by senior second baseman Josh Lopez (New Haven, CT) tied the game and forced extra innings.
• Herzog and Lopez each knocked in runs in the top of the 10th, while senior reliever Bobby Tramondozzi (Peabody, MA) slammed the door in the bottom of the inning to seal the win. Tramondozzi earned the win (1-1), allowing no runs in 3.1 innings of relief.
• The Beacons raced out to a 4-0 lead in the top of the first and never looked back in the nightcap. Freshman catcher Nico Kydes (Stamford, CT) led the way with a two-run double.
• Herzog led off the second with a solo homer.
• UMB scored twice in the sixth, capitalizing on a RIC error. Zincone got the hosts on the board with an RBI single in the home half of the frame.
• The Beacons scored a run each in the seventh, eighth and ninth to cruise to the victory. Sophomore starter Tyler Arruda (New Bedford, MA) earned the win (5-1), allowing one run on five hits in seven innings.
• RIC junior starter Erry Baldayac (Providence, RI) took the loss (0-2).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Rotundo led RIC, going 4-for-9 with two runs scored, a double, homer and one RBI. Walsh went 3-for-7 with three runs scored, a double, one homer and one RBI.
• Herzog paced UMB by going 6-for-11 with four runs scored, three homers and six RBI. Lopez went 4-for-10 with two runs scored, a double and three RBI.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East play at home vs. Eastern Connecticut on Tuesday, April 30 (3:30 p.m.).