Worcester, Mass.—The Rhode Island College baseball team split a Little East Conference twinbill against Keene State on Friday evening. RIC took the opener by a score of 7-2, with Keene State rebounding for the 10-7 win in the nightcap. The games were played at Clark University.
Game One: Rhode Island College 7, Keene State 2
Game Two: Keene State 10, Rhode Island College 7
KSC (9-17, 3-7 LEC)
RIC (22-10, 7-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and three RBI. Freshman left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI) went 3-for-5 with a pair of runs scored.
• Keene State senior right fielder John Tarascio (Wethersfield, CT) was 1-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI, while junior second baseman Tom Meucci (Newington, CT) went 2-for-3 in the setback.
• Junior pitcher Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) earned the win (5-0) for RIC, allowing one run on four hits with eight strikeouts in eight innings.
• Junior pitcher Shawn O'Donnell (Pepperell, MA) took the loss (3-3) for Keene State, allowing five runs on eight hits with two strikeouts in two innings of work.
• RIC got on the board in the bottom of the first when a pair of runs, which included an RBI single from senor first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI), for the 2-0 advantage.
• The Anchormen added two more in the sixth, including a two run triple from Franco, to extend the lead to 4-0.
• Keene State finally got on the board in the top of the ninth on a two-run home run from Tarascio, but that would be all the scoring for the game as RIC held on for the victory.
• Coro went 2-for-4 with one run scored and two RBI for RIC, while four other players each had multi-hit games in the setback for the Anchormen.
• Keene State senior shortstop Mac Struthers (Strafford, NH) was 2-for-5 with two runs scored and three RBI, while junior first baseman Connor Walsh (Goffstown, NH) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI in the win.
• Junior pitcher Erry Baldayac (Providence, RI) recorded 10 strikeouts on the mound in six innings of work for RIC. Rotondo suffered the loss (1-1) for the Anchormen.
• Sophomore pitcher Ryan Slawinski (Sherborn, MA) took the win for Keene State, allowing four runs on eight hits with three strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work for the Owls.
• RIC took the early lead with three runs in the bottom of the first, highlighted by a solo home run from Coro, for the, 3-0, advantage.
• The Anchormen used a pair of RBI singles from Silva and Coro in the bottom of the fourth to extend the lead to, 5-0.
• Keene State came back to knot the game, 5-5, in the top of the fifth when they used a three-run triple from Struthers as part of the comeback.
• Walsh had a two-run triple as part of a four-run seventh inning, which gave the Owls a 9-5 advantage.
• Keene State tacked on an insurance run in the top of the ninth for the 10-7 advantage.
• The Anchormen loaded the bases and sent the game-winning run to the plate in the bottom of the ninth, but couldn't push the runs across as KSC held on for the victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Bridgewater State on Tuesday, April 23 (3 p.m.).