Auburndale, Fla.--Freshman designated hitter Stephen Andrews (Lincoln, RI) belted his second home run of the season to propel the Rhode Island College baseball team to a 4-2 win against Rochester Institute of Technology at the 2019 RussMatt Invitational on Friday morning.
Rhode Island College 4, Rochester Institute of Technology 2
Rhode Island College (6-1)
Rochester Institute of Technology (3-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) went 2-for-4 with an RBI, while junior right fielder Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) was 1-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI in the win for the Anchormen
• RIC junior left hander Jake Rockefeller (Cumberland, RI) improved to 2-0 for the season, throwing four innings of scoreless relief to go along with three strikeouts.
• RIT senior left fielder Daniel Zeglen (Scotia, NY) went 3-for-4, while junior right fielder Kyle Terzini (Liverpool, NY) and freshman third baseman Patrick Blackall (Hershey, PA) each had solo home runs for the Tigers.
• Sophomore Bryce Jellinick (Grand Island, NY) suffered the loss for RIT, allowing two runs on three hits in .2 innings of relief.
• RIT went ahead, 1-0, on a solo home run from Terzini in the top of the second and extended the lead to, 2-0, on a solo home run from Blackall in the third inning.
• RIC cut the lead to, 2-1, in the bottom of the fourth when junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) scored on a sacrifice fly from Webb.
• The Anchormen knotted the game at, 2-2, in the bottom of the seventh as Webb scored on an RBI groundout from freshman left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI).
• Andrews blasted his second home run of the season, a solo shot, to put RIC ahead, 3-2, in the bottom of the eighth.
• The Anchormen then added an insurance run on an RBI single from Franco en route to the 4-2 victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will take on Ursinus in a doubleheader on Saturday, March 16 (9:30 a.m.) at the RussMatt Invitational.