Boston, Mass.--Rhode Island College senior outside hitter Jillian Ward (Coventry, RI) notched a double-double with 14 kills and 16 digs, but it wouldn't be enough as the Anchorwomen's volleyball team dropped a hard fought, 3-2 (25-19, 25-22, 21-25, 17-25, 13-15), decision against UMass Boston at the Clark Athletic Gym on Tuesday evening.
UMass Boston 3, Rhode Island College 2
Rhode Island College (12-10, 3-2 LEC)
UMass Boston (14-8, 5-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman outside hitter Amelia Murphy (Attleboro, MA) added seven kills and two digs.
• Junior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) tallied 24 assists, six digs and a pair of kills for the Anchorwomen.
• Senior defensive specialist Marisa Brynes (Cranston, RI) picked up a match-best 36 digs in the setback for RIC.
• UMass Boston was led by senior outside hitter Eileen Shi (San Francisco, CA) with 21 kills and 13 digs, while sophomore outside hitter Emilia Czapiewska (St. Paul, MN) added 15 kills, seven digs and four blocks for the Beacons.
• Senior setter Christina Elliott (Camas, WA) notched 40 assists and senior defensive specialist Macayla Chianco (Clearwater, FL) posted a team-best 28 digs in the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC posted a .064 (31-22-140 total attacks) hitting percentage in the setback, while UMass Boston hit .127 (57-34-181 total attacks) in the contest.
• RIC had 80 digs and seven service aces in the loss. UMass Boston posted81 digs and 11 service aces in the victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Castleton for a Little East Conference contest on Saturday, Oct. 20 (4:30 p.m.).