Dartmouth, Mass.--Freshman outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) registered 17 kills to lead the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team to a thrilling, 3-2 (15-25, 25-14, 25-14, 23-25, 15-9), victory atUMass Dartmouth in a Little East Conference matchup on Tuesday evening.
Rhode Island College 3, UMass Dartmouth 2
Rhode Island College (8-5, 2-0 LEC)
UMass Dartmouth (5-7, 0-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior outside hitter Jillian Ward (Coventry, RI) contributed eight kills, 17 digs and three service aces.
• Junior Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI) tallied four digs and four blocks, while sophomore right side hitter Eden Anthony (Cranston, RI) and freshman middle hitter Ashley Normandin (Blackstone, MA) each registered four kills in the win for the Anchorwomen.
• Junior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) narrowly missed a double-double with 30 assists, nine digs and six service aces.
• RIC senior defensive specialist Marisa Brynes (Cranston, RI) picked up a team-best 15 digs.
• UMass Dartmouth junior outside hitter Nicole Silverman (Chelmsford, MA) notched a double-double with 13 kills and 12 digs, while senior outside hitter Amanda LaCroix (East Freetown, MA) also had a double-double with 12 kills and 12 digs in the setback.
• Junior setter Jordan Rittberger (Huntington, NY) recorded 21 set assists and a pair of digs for the Corsairs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC posted a .175 (38-16-126) hitting percentage in the victory, while UMass Dartmouth hit .074 (43-32-148) in the contest.
• RIC had 56 digs and nine blocks. UMass Dartmouth recorded 66 digs with two blocks.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Wheaton on Thursday, Sept. 27 (7 p.m.).