Northampton, Mass.--Senior outside hitter Jillian Ward (Coventry, RI) posted a double-double with 23 kills and 22 digs to lead the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team to a 3-1 (25-18, 24-26, 26-24, 25-21) victory at Smith on Thursday evening.
Rhode Island College 3, Smith 1
Rhode Island College (4-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) also posted a double-double with 48 assists and 11 digs in the victory.
• RIC freshman outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) recorded 13 kills for the Anchorwomen.
• Senior libero Marisa Brynes (Cranston, RI) registered a match-high 23 digs for RIC in the win.
• Smith was led by sophomore Claire Cicchetti (Menlo Park, CA) with 11 kills and 14 digs in the setback.
• Smith junior Jody Huang (Cranston, RI) notched a double-double with 13 assists and 14 digs, while junior Helena Wiatrowski (Winchester,MA) also had a double-double with 16 assists an 12 digs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC registered a .203 (53-23-153) hitting percentage in the victory, while Smith hit .060 (34-25-149) in the contest.
• RIC had 85 digs and Smith recorded 71 digs in the setback.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Salve Regina for a tri-match with the host Seahawks and Framingham State on Saturday, Sept. 15 (10 a.m.).