Williamstown, Mass.--Senior Eleni Grammas (Cranston, RI) recorded three first place finishes to lead the Rhode Island College women's track & field team to a third place finish as the 2019 New England Div. III Championship, hosted by Williams on May 3-4.
• RIC finished with 65.0 points for a third place finish (34 teams). Williams took home the New England Championship with 111.0 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The 4x100m relay team comprised of junior Emma Landroche (Warwick, RI), Eleni Grammas, senior Nicole Grammas (Cranston, RI) and freshman Trinity Hayes (Providence, RI) won the New England Championship (47.34).
• Eleni Grammas was a three-time New England Champion as she took first in the 100m (12.16), the 200m (25.10) and as part of the 4x100m relay (47.34).
• Landroche won a New England Championship as part of the 4x100m relay (47.34) and placed second in the long jump (5.65m) to earn All-New England accolades. She also had a 10th place finish in the 200m (26.15).
• Hayes earned All-New England honors twice, as part of the 4x100m relay (47.34) and with a sixth place finish in the 200m (25.52).
• Sophomore Chelsea Yang (Warwick, RI) was the New England Champion in the hammer (51.74m).
• Sophomore Melissa Mejia (Providence, RI) was the runner up and earned All-New England honors in the hammer (49.57m).
• Senior Margaret McCaffrey (East Greenwich, RI) earned All-New England honors with a sixth place finish in the 800m (2:13.95). She established a new program record in that event with her effort.
• Junior Chevell Burgess (Providence, RI) took 22nd in the 400m hurdles (1:10.42).
• Senior Oluwafunmibi Yusuff (Providence, RI) earned All-New England accolades as she placed seventh in the discus (36.05m). She was also 12th in the hammer (42.64m) and was 15th in the shot (10.84m).
• Junior Jamie Dobson (Bradford, RI) recorded an eighth place finish to earn All-New England accolades in the hammer (44.67m).
• Freshman Madisen Martin (Marion, MA) had a 16th place finish in the javelin (31.56m).
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will compete at the New England Open Championship on May 10-11.