Northampton, Mass.—Junior Emma Landroche (Warwick, RI) won the long jump and finished first as part of the 4x200m relay as the Rhode Island College women's track and field team placed second (15 teams) at the Smith Invitational on Saturday afternoon.
• Rhode Island College finished second with 100.0 points. Springfield won the invitational with a team score of 100.75
COACH TIMOTHY RUDD ON THE ANCHORWOMEN'S PERFORMANCE
"Our women once again exhibited the performance goals and progress we have set before them. With that goal being capturing the College’s first indoor LEC title since 2001. Not only are these women progressing at an unprecedented rate, they are also set to peak at the proper time of the winter season. The last take away from Saturday is our women once again defeated a NE-10 NCAA Div. II program."
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Landroche finished first in the long jump (5.30m) and as part of the 4x200m relay (1:45.58). She also placed second in the triple jump (10.58m), third in the 60m (8.13) and fourth in the 200m (26.91).
• Senior Eleni Grammas (Cranston, RI) finished first in the 60m (8.03) and as part of the 4x200m relay (1:45.58).
• Senior Nicole Grammas (Cranston, RI) finished first as part of the 4x200m relay (1:45.58), eighth in the 60m (8.45) and ninth in the 600m (1:46.01).
• Freshman Trinity Hayes (Providence, RI) finished first as part of the 4x200m relay (1:45.58), seventh in the 400m (1:01.82) and ninth in the 200m (27.28).
• Sophomore Chelsea Yang (Warwick, RI) finished first in the weight throw (18.40m). Her effort broke the program record she established last season.
• Junior Oluwafunmibi Yusuff (Providence, RI) placed third in the weight throw (15.64m) and sixth in the shot (11.27m).
• Junior Chevell Burgess (Providence, RI) placed fifth in the triple jump (10.11m), seventh in the long jump (4.66m), 13th in the 60m hurdles (10.54) and 25th in the high jump (1.40m).
• Sophomore Melissa Mejia (Providence, RI) finished seventh in the weight throw (14.14m). Freshman Georgerinna Farley (Providence, RI) placed eighth in the weight throw (14.05m) and 22nd in the shot (9.80m).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will compete at the Boston University Invitational on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 25-26.