Boston, Mass.-Freshman Chelsea Yang (Warwick, RI) took home first place in the weight throw to lead the Rhode Island College women's indoor track & field team at the 2017 UMass Boston Winter Open held at the Reggie Lewis Track Center on Saturday.
• The Anchorwomen competed against some of the top NCAA Div. II and III teams in New England at the event.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC dominated the weight throw, taking four of the top 10 spots. Yang finished first (15.44m), senior Destinee Barrette (Warwick, RI) placed third (13.69m), freshman Jasmine Gallo-Fusco (Warwick, RI) took fourth (13.44m) and junior Oluwafunmibi Yusuff (Providence, RI) placed sixth (13.39m).
• Yusuff notched a 17th place finish in the shot (10.04m), while Barrette placed 19th in the event (9.77).
• Freshman Melissa Mejia (Providence, RI) registered a 17th place finish (11.27m) in the weight throw and was 35th in the shot (7.48m).
• Sophomore Jamie Dobson (Bradford, RI) recorded a 20th place finish in the weight throw (9.66m).
• Freshman Rachel Meus (Providence, RI) took home third place in the high jump (31.60m), had a 28th place finish in the 200m (27.94) and also ran a leg of the 4x400m relay team that finished in sixth place (4:24.94).
• Freshman Wennely Figueroa (Providence, RI) recorded a top-10 finish for the Anchorwomen, taking eighth in the 500m (1:37.05), while sophomore Analise England (Smithfield, RI) also had a top-10 performance with a ninth place finish in the 1,000m (3:30.58).
• Sophomore Emma Landroche (Warwick, RI) placed 12th in the 200m (27.07) and also ran a leg of the 4x400m relay team that finished in sixth place (4:24.94).
• Junior Nicole Grammas (Cranston, RI) was in sixth place in the 400m (1:02.50) and also ran a leg of the 4x400m relay team that finished in sixth place (4:24.94). Junior Eleni Grammas (Cranston, RI) finished in 19th place in the 200m (27.46).
• Freshman Shayna Cousineau (Cranston, RI) posted a sixth place finish in the 5,000m (19:28.87).
• Sophomore Jacklyn Xavier (Cumberland, RI) finished 14th in the 200m (27.23) and ran the anchor leg of the 4x400m relay team that finished in sixth place (4:24.94).
• Senior Rebecca Tellier (Smithfield, RI) placed 21st (12:26.71) in the 3,000m while junior Laura Paiva (Coventry, RI) was right behind her, finishing 22nd (12:31.79.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host its the RIC Track & Field Winter Classic at PCTA on Saturday, Dec. 9.