Providence, R.I.--The Rhode Island College women's tennis team fell to No. 4 Wesleyan, 5-0, in a second round contest of the 2019 NCAA Div. III Championship on Saturday morning. The Anchorwomen end the season with the most wins in a single season in program history.
Wesleyan 5, Rhode Island College 0
Rhode Island College (18-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Wesleyan freshman Kristina Yu (New Braunfels, TX) and senior Victoria Yu (New Braunfels, TX) posted an, 8-0, win over RIC senior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and sophomore Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) at the No. 1 doubles spot.
• The host Cardinal went up 2-0 at No. 2 doubles when sophomore Polina Kiseleva (Davie, FL) and freshman Venia Yeung (Hong Kong) defeated RIC sophomores Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) and sophomore Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA), 8-0.
• Wesleyan finished the sweep of doubles play with an 8-0 win at the No. 3 spot by sophomore Daniela Alvarez (Austin, TX) and freshman Megan Tran (San Diego, CA) over the RIC pairing of sophomores Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) and Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI).
• Tran posted a (6-0, 6-0) win against Ten Eyck at the No. 5 singles spot to put Wesleyan up, 4-0.
• The Cardinal then finished off the match when freshman Alexis Almy (Southborough, MA) secured a (6-1, 6-0) win over Bobola at No. 3 singles to advance in the tournament.