Woburn, Mass.--The Rhode Island College women's tennis team dropped a 5-0 decision against No.6-ranked Tufts in the second round of the 2018 NCAA Div. III Championship played indoors at the Woburn Racquet Club on Saturday morning. RIC finishes the season with a 17-1 overall record. The Anchorwomen defeated Nazareth, 5-2, in first round action yesterday morning.
Tufts 5, Rhode Island College 0
Rhode Island College (17-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Tufts took the first point of the day with an 8-1 win by senior Lauren Louks (Malibu, CA) and freshman Patricia Obeid (New York, NY) against RIC junior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and freshman Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) at No. 2 doubles.
• The Jumbos increased the lead to 2-0 with an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles as sophomore Kat Wiley (Fort Lauderdale, FL) and senior Zoe Miller (Agoura Hills, CA) defeated freshmen Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) and freshman Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA).
• Tufts completed the sweep of doubles action with juniors Otilia Popa (San Diego, CA) and Mina Karamercan (Istanbul, Turkey) taking an 8-1 win over RIC senior Dayna Reilly (Swansea, MA) and freshman Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) at No. 1 doubles.
• Miller posted a (6-1, 6-0) win over Ten Eyck at No. 4 singles to increase the lead to 4-0.
• The Jumbos then closed out the match with junior Julia Keller (Lindingoe, Sweden) taking a (6-0, 6-0) win at the No. 6 spot against Vittori to quickly close out the victory.
• Tufts had the lead in the four remaining singles contest when the match was stopped. Karamercan was up (6-1, 3-0) at No. 1 single against Reilly, Obeid had a (6-1, 1-0) advantage against Zangari at No. 2, junior Tomo Iwasaki (Scarsdale, NY) was up (6-0, 1-0) over freshman Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) at No. 3 singles and Wiley led freshman Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) by a score of (6-1, 5-0) at No. 4 singles.