Freshman Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) recorded a pair of victories, including a perfect (6-0, 6-0) win at No. 2 singles, to help the Rhode Island College women's tennis team run its unbeaten stretch to 12 matches in a commanding,8-1, victory at UMass Boston on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 8, UMass Boston 1
(RIC 12-0, 6-0 LEC)
(UMass Boston 3-5, 2-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC opened the match with a win at third doubles, as Zangari and fellow freshman Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) defeated senior Meghan Erickson (Hubbardston, MA) and freshman Annie Fidelia (Stoneham, Mass.) by a score of 8-2.
• The Anchorwomen made it 2-0 with a decision at second doubles as freshman Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) and junior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) secured an 8-3 win over senior Martina Daelli (Florence, Italy) and senior Kathleen Conroy (Quincy, MA).
• Senior Dayna Reilly (Swansea, MA) and freshman Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick , RI) held off senior Kristy Garcia (Miami, FL) and sophomore Katie Gauthier (West Boylston, MA) by a score of 8-5 to give RIC a clean sweep of the doubles action.
• Reilly recorded her second victory of the day with a win at No. 1 singles for RIC, defeating Garcia (6-2, 6-3).
• RIC freshman Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) recorded a (6-0, 6-0) win over freshman Annie Fidelia (Stoneham, MA) at the No. 5 singles spot.
• RIC senior Laura Nastasi (Smithville, NJ) posted a (6-2, 6-3) win over Erickson at No. 4 singles.
• UMass Boston picked up its lone win of the day at No. 3 singles when Gauthier handed Braganca her first singles loss of the season (6-2, 7-5).
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen have won nine-straight Little East regular season matches and improved to 12-0 overall. They have dropped just six points out of a possible 108 this fall.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Bridgewater State for a key Little East Conference contest on Monday, October 9 (1:00 p.m.). The contest will be a rematch of last year's LEC Championship match.