Providence, R.I.- Senior Dayna Reilly (Swansea, MA) notched a pair of victories to help the Rhode Island College women's tennis extend its winning streak to 11 straight matches to open the 2017 campaign in a 7-2 victory over UMass Dartmouth in a Little East Conference contest played at the RIC Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 7, UMass Dartmouth 2
(RIC 11-0, 5-0 LEC)
(UMass Dartmouth 6-3, 4-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC stormed out to the 3-0 advantage after a clean sweep in doubles action. Reilly teamed with freshman Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) for an 8-1 win against junior UMD Jenna Lahaie (Lakeville, MA) and sophomore Jamie Fastino (Rehoboth, MA)at the No. 1 spot. Reilly defeated Lahaie (6-1, 6-4) at No. 1 singles. Senior Molina Oung (Bourne, MA) defeated Ten Eyck (0-6, 7-6 (7-3), 11-9) at No. 6 singles to earn a point for UMass Dartmouth.
• Junior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and freshman Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) teamed for an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles for the Anchorwomen, defeating senior Mollie McCaffrey (Taunton, MA) and senior Jillian Reichert (Marion, MA). Braganca recorded a (6-0, 6-0) win against McCaffrey at No. 3 singles.
• Freshmen Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) and Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) posted a 9-7 win against senior Samantha Rollings (Tiverton, RI) and senior Kerry Magoon (Marshfield, MA) at No. 3 doubles. Zangari also posted a (6-0, 6-0) win over Magoon at No. 2 singles.
• RIC freshman Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) recorded a (6-2, 6-1) win against Rollings at No. 5 singles.
• Fastino posted a (6-4, 6-3) win over RIC senior Laura Nastasi (Smithville, NJ) at No. 4 singles to notch another point for the Corsairs.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East Conference action at UMass Boston on Saturday, Oct. 7 (1 p.m.).