Junior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and freshman Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) each picked up a pair of wins to help the Rhode Island College women's tennis team remain undefeated on the year with an 8-1 win at Western Connecticut in a Little East Conference matchup on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 8, Western Connecticut 1
(RIC 10-0, 4-0 LEC)
(Western Connecticut 5-5, 2-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Braganca posted a perfect (6-0, 6-0) win at No. 3 singles against sophomore Pooja Dudhedia (Brookfield, CT) and teamed with freshman Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) for an 8-0 win at No. 2 doubles over the Western Connecticut pair of sophomore Sarah Warkoski (Bristol, CT)and freshman Lesley Coronel (Danbury, CT).
• Zangari registered a (6-0, 6-3) win over junior Carole Allers (Wilton, CT) and teamed with freshman Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) for an 8-2 win at the third doubles spot against the Colonials team of Dudhedia and junior Lianne Maynard (Milford, CT).
• RIC senior Dayna Reilly (Swansea, MA) posted a (6-0, 6-1) win against sophomore Emma Chapman (Danbury, CT) at No. 1 singles.
• RIC freshman Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) recorded a (6-0, 6-0) win against Coronel at the No. 4 singles spot, while senior Laura Nastasi (Smithville, NJ) recorded a (6-2, 4-6, 1-0) win over Warkoski at the No. 4 singles spot.
• Freshman Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) rounded out the winners on the afternoon for the Anchorwomen, posting a (6-1, 6-0) win against Gabriella Orsini (Watertown, CT) at the sixth singles spot.
• Allers and Chapman notched the lone win on the day for Western Connecticut, defeating Reilly and Ten Eyck by a score of 8-4 at the third doubles spot.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host UMass Boston in a Little East Conference contest at the RIC Tennis Center on Tuesday, Oct. 3 (3:30 p.m.).