Freshman Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) won in straight sets (6-0, 6-0) at No. 2 singles to clinch the match as the Rhode Island College women's tennis team defeated Curry, 9-0, at the RIC Tennis Center on Monday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 9, Curry 0
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Senior Dayna Reilly (Swansea, MA) recorded a (6-0, 6-0) win over freshman Sidara Cash-Sortwell (South Portland, ME) at the No. 1 spot. Reilly teamed with freshman Olivia Campanella (Chepachet, RI) to post an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles against Sortwell and sophomore Alexis Mclea-Perry (Plymouth, MA).
• Zangari posted the win at No. 2 singles against Mclea-Perry to seal the match for the Anchorwomen. She also teamed with freshman Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) for an 8-2 win at second doubles against CC sophomore Stephanie Leblanc (East Bridgewater, MA) and freshman Kelsie Merrill (Hope, ME).
• Junior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) also picked up a pair of wins on the day for RIC, including a (6-0, 6-0) win over LeBlanc at the No. 3 singles spot. Braganca teamed with freshman Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) for an 8-0 win over CC freshmen April Miller (Newton, NH) and Samantha Gilbert (Bedford, MA) at No. 3 doubles.
• Freshman Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) registered a (6-0, 6-0) win over freshman Alison Daigle (Edgartown, MA) at the fourth singles spot, with RIC freshman Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) posting a (6-0, 6-1) win over junior Rosario Robidoux (Agawam, MA) at No. 5 singles.
• Freshman Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) picked up a (6-1, 6-0) win over Gilbert at the sixth singles spot to complete the shutout win for the Anchorwomen.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Curry won a mere six games in the loss. Five of RIC's nine wins were complete shutouts.
• Today's win marked the fifth time this season the Anchorwomen have won, 9-0.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Wentworth on Tuesday, Sept. 26 (3:30 p.m.).