Gorham, Maine-Senior Dayna Reilly (Swansea, MA) picked up a pair of victories, which included a perfect (6-0, 6-0) win at No. 1 singles, to help the Rhode Island College women's tennis team to a 9-0 shutout win over Southern Maine in a Little East Conference matchup on Saturday afternoon. The win extended the Anchorwomen's streak to seven straight matches to open the 2017 season.
Rhode Island College 9, Southern Maine 0
(RIC 7-0, 3-0 LEC)
(Southern Maine 2-4, 0-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Reilly posted a (6-0, 6-0) win over junior Courtney Jordan (Portland, ME) at the No. 1 spot. She teamed with freshman Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) to post an 8-0 win over Jordan and sophomore Ashley Owens (Penn Yan, NY) at the No. 1 doubles spot to pick up her second win on the day.
• Junior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) also picked up a pair of wins on the day for RIC, including a (6-2, 6-2) win over Owens at the No. 3 singles spot. Braganca teamed with freshman Olivia Campanella (Chepachet, RI) for an 8-0 victory over junior Joanna Scheidegger (Lyss, Switzerland) and sophomore Gabby Brooks (Palermo, ME) at No. 3 doubles.
• Freshman Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) rounded out the RIC players with two wins on the day, posting a (6-0, 6-0) win over Southern Maine senior Rikki Demoranville (Madawaska, ME) at No. 2 singles. Zangari and freshman Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) defeated Demoranville and junior Margaret Smith (Farmingdale, ME) at the No. 2 doubles spot.
• Freshman Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) recorded a (6-0, 6-0) win over Scheideggerat the No. 5 singles spot and freshman Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) won (6-0, 6-1) against Brooks at No. 6 singles.
• RIC senior Laura Nastasi (Smithville, NJ) recorded a (6-1, 6-2) win over Smith at No. 4 singles.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Curry on Monday, Sept. 25 (3:30 p.m.).