Freshman Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) won in straight sets (6-0, 6-0) at No. 5 singles to clinch the match and lead the Rhode Island College women's tennis team past Plymouth State, 8-1, in Little East Conference action played at the RIC Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
Plymouth State 1, Rhode Island College 8
(RIC 4-0, 1-0 LEC)
(Plymouth State 2-2, 0-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC swept all six singles matches, with Raskob's contest securing the win, and won two of three in doubles.
• Senior Dayna Reilly (Swansea, MA) and freshman Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI)secured an 8-3 win over freshmen Sage Winter (New Castle, NH) and Maggie McCarthy (Marion, MA) at No. 1 doubles.
• The Panther tandem of freshmen Kerstin Venincasa (Sutton, MA) and Jenna Sundquist (Monument Beach, MA) defeated RIC junior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and senior Isabella Romeo (Greenville, RI), 8-6, at No. 2 doubles.
• RIC freshmen Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) and Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) won, 8-2, over PSU junior Megan Wheeler (Manchester, NH) and freshman Chloe Knapp (Jamestown, NY) at No. 3 doubles.
• Reilly rolled past Winter (6-1, 6-0) at No. 1 singles. Zangari defeated McCarthy (6-1, 6-3) at No. 2 singles.
• Braganca defeated Venincasa (6-2, 6-4) at No. 3 singles. Senior Laura Nastasi (Smithville, NJ) defeated Sundquist (6-2, 6-3) at No. 4 singles.
• Raskob downed Wheeler (6-0, 6-0) at No. 5 singles and freshman Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) won (6-2, 6-2) vs. Knapp at No. 6 singles.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Clark on Tuesday, Sept. 12 (4 p.m.).