Westfield, Mass.--Freshman Mary McBride (Rumford, RI) and fellow freshman Athena Sampalis (West Greenwich, RI) each recorded a pair of victories as the Rhode Island College women's swimming team fell at Westfield State, 116-92, on Saturday afternoon.
Westfield State 116, Rhode Island College 92
Westfield State (6-0)
Rhode Island College (0-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• McBride finished first in both the 100-yard freestyle (1:08.85) and the 500-yard freestyle (6:57.23). She also took fifth place in the 50-yard freestyle (30.61) and had the lead leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:02.54).
• Sampalis took first in both the 100-yard backstroke (1:21.25) and 100-yard IM (1:17.78). She placed fourth in the 50-yard freestyle (30.60) had swam the third leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:02.54).
• Freshman Wenona Alexander (Warwick, RI) placed first in the 50-yard butterfly (31.38) and was third in both the 200-yard IM (2:34.59) and the 100-yard butterfly (1:16.39). Alexander also had the anchor leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:02.54).
• Senior Madison Lane (Barrington, RI) notched a second place finish in both the 100-yard freestyle (1:10.30) and the 500-yard freestyle. She also had a third place finish in the 200-yard freestyle (2:46.07).
• Sophomore Emily Butterfield (Cranston, RI) won the 100-yard breaststroke (1:29.82) and finished third in the 50-yard breaststroke (40:35). She also swam the had the second leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:02.54).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to UMass Dartmouth for the Little East Championship on Saturday, Feb. 9 (11 a.m.).