Willimantic, Conn.--Freshman Wenona Alexander (Warwick, RI) took home first place in three events as the Rhode Island College women's swimming team dropped a 117-91 decision at Eastern Connecticut on Saturday afternoon.
Eastern Connecticut 117, Rhode Island College 91
Eastern Connecticut State (3-0)
Rhode Island College (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Alexander placed first in the 100-yard butterfly (1:08.11), 50-yard freestyle (27.73) and the 500-yard freestyle (5:54.97). She also swam the lead leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:01.95).
• Freshman Athena Sampalis (West Greenwich, RI) posted a first place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke (3:01.59), took second in the 100-yard backstroke (1:16.68) and was third in the 200-yard IM (2:52.28). Sampalis had the anchor leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:01.95).
• Freshman Mary McBride (Rumford, RI) recorded a first place finish in the 100-yard freestyle (1:08.92), was second in both the 100-yard breaststroke (1:30.48) and the 500-yard freestyle (7:17.58) and placed third in the 200-yard freestyle (2:39.70).
• Sophomore Emily Butterfield (Cranston, RI) took second place in both the 50-yard freestyle (32.75) and the 100-yard freestyle (1:13.31). She also finished third in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:31.43) and swam the second leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:01.95).
• Senior Madison Lane (Barrington, RI) finished fourth in the 100-yard backstroke (1:23.46), 200-yard freestyle (2:44.59) and the 200-yard backstroke (2:59.52). Lane swam the third leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:01.95).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Western New England on Friday, Nov. 16 (7 p.m.) at Bryant University.