Hartford, Conn.--Junior Courtney Payne (Waterford, CT) recorded three victories as the Rhode Island College women's swimming team opened the season with a hard-fought, 126-122, setback at the University of Saint Joseph on Saturday afternoon.
Saint Joseph 126, Rhode Island College 122
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Payne finished in first place in the 50-yard freestyle (38.83), the 100-yard breaststroke (1:27.06) and the 100-yard IM (1:24.00). Payne also swam the third leg of the second place 200-yard medley relay team.
• Senior Sydney Curran (North Kingstown, RI) took home first in the 100-yard butterfly (1:20.35) and the 50-yard butterfly (30.71). She also finished second in the 200-yard freestyle (2:17.26) and swam the third leg of the second place 200-yd medley relay team.
• Sophomore Vanessa Dao (Revere, MA) recorded a first place finish in the 100-yard backstroke (1:16.46) and finished second in the 50-yard freestyle (29.77). Dao swam the lead leg of the 200-yard freestyle relay that notched a first place finish (2:24.76).
• Junior Madison Lane (Barrington, RI) earned a first place finish in the 500-yd freestyle (6:55.68) and was second in the 100-yard IM (1:32.32). Lane also swam the first leg of the second-place 200-yard medley relay.
• Sophomore Jianna Hodge (North Providence, RI) finished in third place in the 100-yard backstroke (1:35.61) and finished in fourth place in both the 50-yard backstroke (42.76) and the 500-yard freestyle (9:29.50). She also swam the third leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay team (2:24.76).
• Freshman Makeila Robles (Willimantic, CT) finished third in the 100-yard freestyle (1:17.82) and fourth in both the 100-yard butterfly and the 50-yard butterfly (45.13). She also swam the anchor leg of the 200-yard medley relay team that finished in second place.
• Freshman Alexis Lewis (North Kingstown, RI) posted a fourth place finish in the 200-yard freestyle (3:14.92), a fourth place finish in the 100-yard freestyle (1:29.05) and was fifth in the 50-yard freestyle (38.80). She swam the anchor leg of the 200-yard freestyle relay team that recorded a first place finish (2:24.76).
• Freshman Morgan Ward (Tiverton, RI) recorded a third place finish in the 50-yard breaststroke (51.90), placed fourth in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:53.44) and finished in fifth place in the 100-yard freestyle (1:29.80). Ward also swam the third leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay team.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will return to Saint Joseph's for the USJ Invitational on Friday, Oct. 27 (5 p.m.).