Boston, Mass. -- No. 5-seeded Rhode Island College dropped a 2-0 decision at No. 4-seeded UMass Boston in the first round of the 2017 Little East Conference Women's Soccer Championship on Tuesday evening. RIC wrapped up the 2017 season with a 5-12-1 record.
2017 Little East Conference Women's Soccer Championship First Round
No. 4 UMass Boston 2, No. 5 Rhode Island College 0
(Rhode Island College 5-12-1)
(UMass Boston 6-11-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• UMass Boston took the early lead when senior forward Kerri Alexander (Carver, MA)scored in the eighth minute, putting in a goal after a breakaway to give the Beacons the 1-0 advantage.
• UMass Boston held the one goal lead heading into halftime after outshooting RIC by a 10-5 margin.
• RIC had several solid scoring chances in the second half, which included a free kick from 20 yards out by senior midfielder Stephanie Ricci (Smithfield, RI), but couldn't capitalize.
• The host Beacons added an insurance goal by freshman midfielder Kayleigh LaFreniere (Hanover, MA), after an assist by Alexander, with just under a minute left to play.
• Sophomore Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) (2-10-1) notched five saves in the setback for RIC.
• Junior goalkeeper Alyssa Fugiel (Easthampton, MA) (3-2-1) recorded two stops in the victory for UMass Boston.
BY THE NUMBERS
• UMass Boston outshot RIC by a 19-12 margin. RIC held a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks for the game.