Keene, N.H.--Junior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) scored a goal and added an assist as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team dropped a 7-2 decision at Keene State in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Keene State 7, Rhode Island College 2
(Rhode Island College 4-11-1, 1-4-1 LEC)
(Keene State 9-7, 4-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Keene State jumped out to the 1-0 lead in the 12th minute on an unassisted goal from senior forward Taylor Farland (Fiskdale, MA).
• The host Owls extended the lead to 2-0 at the 18:04 mark on a goal from senior midfielder Katie Silegy (Keene, NH) with an assist credited to senior forward Julia Pearson (Harwintown, CT).
• RIC cut into the lead at the 20:05 mark when freshman defender Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) put a shot into the high left corner of the net after a pass from DeGrooth. The goal was the second of the season for Young.
• Farland's second goal of the game, an unassisted tally at the 23:06 mark, put Keene State up 3-1.
• Once again, RIC responded in the 42nd minute and DeGrooth's team-best eighth goal of the season, with an assist coming from junior midfielder Olivia Capraro (North Providence, RI), cut the lead down to 3-2 heading into halftime.
• Keene State controlled the action in the second half, scoring four unanswered goals, which included the third of the game from Farland in the 57th minute, to cruise to the 7-2 victory.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) (1-9-1) made 19 saves for RIC in the setback, while freshman goalkeeper Shelby Offord (Shelton, CT) (4-3) tallied four stops in the win for Keene State.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Keene State outshot the Anchorwomen by a 39-11 margin.
• The Owls held the advantage in corner kicks, 6-2.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Fitchburg State on Wednesday, Oct. 24 (7 p.m.).