Dartmouth, Mass.-- Junior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) scored the lone goal for the Rhode Island College women's soccer team as they dropped a 2-1 decision against UMass Dartmouth in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday.
UMass Dartmouth 2, Rhode Island College 1
(Rhode Island College 4-7-1, 1-2-1 LEC)
(UMass Dartmouth 4-8-1, 2-2-0 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Senior forward Abby Silva (Mahwah, NJ) got UMass Dartmouth on the board at the 9:33 mark when she put in a pass from freshman defender Alexis Cote (Westport, MA).
• The Corsairs took the one goal lead heading into halftime after outshooting RIC by a 17-1 margin in the stanza.
• Freshman forward Alexis Pacheco (Swansea, MA) scored what would prove to be the game-winner for UMD in the 82nd minute, putting a shot into the back of the net for an unassisted tally.
• RIC was able to get on the board at the 86:04 mark on an unassisted goal by DeGrooth, but it wouldn't be enough as UMass Dartmouth held on for the 2-1 victory.
• RIC sophomore goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made eight saves in the setback.
• Freshman goalkeeper Jaimee O'Brien (West Springfield, MA) recorded three saves in the victory for the hosts.
BY THE NUMBERS
• UMass Dartmouth outshot RIC by a 29-10 margin and the host Corsairs also held a 7-1 advantage in corner kicks for the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Wesleyan on Wednesday, Oct. 11 (7:30 p.m.).