Boston, Mass.--Sophomore midfielder Katherine Carrillo (Central Falls, RI) scored her first collegiate goal as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team battled to a 1-1 double overtime tie at UMass Boston in a Little East Conference contest played at Cotter Field on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 1, UMass Boston 1 (2OT)
(Rhode Island College 3-6-1, 1-1-1 LEC)
(UMass Boston 1-8-1, 1-1-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Freshman midfielder Madison Grabowski (Easthampton, MA) put UMass Boston on the board first when she connected on a one touch shot to the far post after a crossing pass from senior midfielder Jessi Beverlin (Eagle River, AK) for the 1-0 lead in the 15th minute.
• The Beacons took the one goal lead heading into halftime with a 6-5 advantage in shots for the stanza.
• RIC answered at the 65:04 mark when junior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) sent a perfect crossing pass to Carrillo to knot the game at 1-1.
• Regulation ended in the 1-1 deadlock with UMass Boston holding a 15-14 advantage in shots.
• Both teams had their chances in overtime as UMB outshot RIC by a 5-1 margin in the first 10-minute overtime period and RIC outshot UMB by 3-0 margin in the second 10-minute period.
• RIC sophomore goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made 10 saves in the contest.
• Junior goalkeeper Alyssa Fugiel (Easthampton, MA) notched eight stops for UMass Boston.
BY THE NUMBERS
• UMass Boston outshot RIC by a 20-18 margin and the Beacons held a 10-3 advantage in corner kicks for the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Becker at Alumni Field on Wednesday, Oct. 4 (6 p.m.).