Cambridge, Mass.-Junior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) scored the lone goal for the Rhode Island College women's soccer team as they at Lesley, 3-1, in a non-conference contest on Thursday night.
Rhode Island College 1, Lesley 3
(Rhode Island College 3-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Lesley got on the board first when freshman midfielder Sam Ring (Thousand Oaks, CA)blasted in a shot in the 30th minute for the 1-0 advantage.
• The Lynx scored what would prove to be the game-winning goal at the 41:50 mark when junior midfielder Jordan Mitchell (Sachse, TX) had a one touch into the back of the net after a crossing pass from sophomore midfielder Katelyn Scott (Glendora, CA) for the 2-0 advantage heading into halftime.
• Lesley added an insurance goal in the 57th minute as junior forward Samantha Bessey (Algonquin, IL) scored with an assist from freshman midfielder Julia Cohn (Farmington, CT)for the 3-0 lead.
• DeGrooth put RIC on the board with a penalty kick at the 89:03 mark, but it wouldn't be enough as Lesley held on for the 3-1 victory.
• RIC sophomore goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made five saves in the setback.
• Senior goalkeeper Lilly Donovan (Newburyport, MA) notched three stops for Lesley in the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Lesley outshot RIC by a 10-4 margin and the Lynx hel a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks for the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East Conference action at UMass Boston on Saturday, Sept. 30 (1 p.m.).