Providence, R.I.-The Rhode Island College women's soccer squad defeated Dean, 5-3, at Alumni Field on Monday evening.
Rhode Island College 5, Dean 3
(Rhode Island College 2-4)
(Dean College 0-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Dean scored what would have been the first goal of the game just five minutes into the contest, but the goal was waived off after the Bulldogs were whistled for an illegal throw in.
• The visiting Bulldogs would get on the board in the 10th minute when senior midfielder Emma Morrison (Northport, NY) capitalized on a turnover by the RIC defense and blasted in a shot from 15 yards out for the 1-0 advantage.
• RIC answered at the 19:13 mark when freshman midfielder Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) collected a loose ball in the box and fed a pass to junior midfielder Olivia Capraro (North Providence, RI). Capraro then put in a shot from five yards out for her second goal of the season to knot the score at 1-1.
• Young then put the Anchorwomen up, 2-1, in the 30th minute when she scored her first collegiate goal after a crossing pass from sophomore midfielder Breanne Ford (Schenectady, NY).
• Dean answered at the 32:49 mark when freshman midfielder Alison Nelson (Candia, NH)scored from 15 yards out after a costly turnover by RIC to tie the game 2-2.
• The score headed into halftime knotted, 2-2, despite RIC holding a 25-3 advantage in shots for the stanza.
• The Anchorwomen continued to dominate play in the second half and broke the deadlock in the 73rd minute as junior forward Elena Couto (Coventry, RI) scored after a perfect crossing pass from junior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI). RIC then added an insurance goal on a penalty kick from DeGrooth with 12:02 remaining.
• Dean chipped away at the lead at the 87:00 mark when Nelson tallied her second goal of the game to cut the lead to 4-3, converting a long range shot off of a breakaway.
• RIC then tacked on another insurance goal with 1:54 left in the contest when Couto scored after a short corner kick from senior midfielder Stephanie Ricci (Smithfield, RI) to take the 5-3 victory.
• RIC sophomore goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) allowed two goals in the first half. Freshman Carissa Gaglione (West Warwick, RI) gave up one goal in the second half for the Anchorwomen and picked up the win.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Macy Parisee (East Freetown, MA) tallied 25 stops for Dean in the setback.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC outshot Dean by a 49-5 margin.
• RIC held the advantage in corner kicks, 9-0.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Framingham State on Wednesday, Sept. 20 (4 p.m.).