Providence, R.I.-The Rhode Island College wrestling team dropped a 55-0 decision against No. 4 Johnson & Wales in a New England Wrestling Association matchup at the Recreation Center on Saturday evening.
Johnson & Wales (16-2) 55, Rhode Island College (6-10) 0
HOW IT HAPPENED
• JWU opened the evening with a technical fall victory at 125 lbs. when junior Jay Albis (Fishkill, NY) posted an 18-0 win in a time of 2:37 against RIC freshman Brandon Nunez (Rockaway, NY).
• A second straight technical fall win at 133 lbs. by JWU senior Joao Vincente (East Providence, RI) against RIC junior Daniel Murray (Bay Shore, NY) put the Wildcats up 10-0.
• The first pin came for JWU at 141 lbs. when senior Watna Cunha (Brockton, MA) pinned sophomore Francisco Roman (Parlin, NJ) at 2:12. The Wildcats extended the lead to 22-0 after a win by forfeit at 149 lbs.
• Sophomore Cam Altobelli (Atkinson, NH) put JWU up 28-0 with a pin at 3:36 against RIC freshman James Smith (Belle Mead, NJ) at 157 lbs.
• Senior Tim Higginson (Flemington, NJ) increased the Wildcats lead to 33-0 with a tech fall win at 165 lbs. against RIC freshman Nick Gould (North Attleboro, MA).
• JWU's second pin came at 174 lbs., where junior Adrian Gonzalez (Providence, RI) pinned junior Tim Caplan (Portland, CT) at 2:21 to make the score 39-0.
• Junior Khamri Thomas (Windsor Locks, CT) gave JWU a 14-3 major decision victory at 184 lbs. against RIC freshman Nicholas Coppola (Wantagh, NY) for the 43-0 advantage and the Wildcats went up 49-0 after a forfeit win at 197 lbs.
• JWU wrapped up the night with its third pin of the night at 285 lbs. by senior Jonah Aurelio (Riverside, RI) against RIC freshman Ricky Brown (North Kingstown, RI) to take the 55-0 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
125 lbs. Jay Albis (JWU) tech fall. Brandon Nunez (RIC), 18-0 (2:37)
133 lbs. Joao Vincente (JWU) tech fall Daniel Murray (RIC), 15-0 (7:00)
141 lbs. Watna Cunha (JWU) pinned Francisco Roman (RIC) at 2:12
149 lbs. Jordan Robinson (JWU) won by forfeit
157 lbs. Cam Altobelli (JWU) pinned James Smith (RIC) at 3:36
165 lbs. Timothy Higginson (JWU) Tech Fall Nick Gould (RIC), 15-0 (4:38)
174 lbs. Adrian Gonzalez (JWU) pinned Tim Caplan (RIC) at 2:21
184 lbs. Khamri Thomas (JWU) maj. Dec. Nick Coppola (RIC), 14-3
197 lbs. Michael DiNardo (JWU) won in by forfeit
285 lbs. Jonah Aurelio (JWU) pinned Ricky Brown (RIC), 3:57
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will compete at Johnson & Wales Wildcat Open on Sunday, Jan. 28 (9:30 a.m.).