Providence, R.I.--Freshman attack Giana Ritchie (Cumberland, RI) scored a goal and added an assist as the Rhode Island College women's lacrosse team fell to Castleton, 15-2, in a Little East Conference contest played at Alumni Field on Thursday night.
Castleton 15, Rhode Island College 2
Rhode Island College (6-7, 2-4 LEC)
Castleton (6-10, 2-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Junior midfielder Angie Leonardo (East Providence, RI) had a goal in the loss for the Anchorwomen.
• Junior midfielders Morgan Derosia (Vernon, VT) and Emma Best (Salisbury, VT) each had four goals for Castleton, while classmate attack Erin Shuttle (Georgia, VT) had three goals and an assist.
• Best registered three straight goals as Castleton scored five unanswered markers to open the game with a 5-0 advantage.
• Leonardo put RIC on the board when she put in a pass from Ritchie with 5:50 left in the first half to make the score, 5-1.
• Castleton took the 7-1 lead into halftime after outshooting RIC by a 19-11 margin.
• The visiting Spartans extended the lead to, 10-1, early in the second half before Ritchie's goal with an assist credited to sophomore defender Cara Williams (Cumberland, RI), with 24:59 left in the contest put the score at, 10-2.
• That would be all the scoring for the Anchorwomen as the Spartans ran off the last five goals of the game en route to the, 15-2, victory.
• Castleton held a 33-16 advantage in shots, with RIC holding a, 23-22, advantage in ground balls. Castleton held an 11-8 advantage in draw controls.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will close out the regular season with a Little East game at Southern Maine on Saturday, April 27 (6 p.m.).