Danbury, Conn.--Sophomore midfielder Giana Ritchie (Cumberland, RI) scored the team's lone goal, while senior goalkeeper Julia Eaton (Cumberland, RI) stopped 26 shots, as Rhode Island College dropped a 12-1 loss at Western Connecticut in Little East women's lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon at the Westside Athletic Complex.
Western Connecticut 12, Rhode Island College 1
Western Connecticut (10-3, 3-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (4-6, 0-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Western Connecticut junior Brooke Baldelli (New Fairfield, CT) tallied a game-high four goals and two assists, while senior midfielder Lauren Bradshaw (Bethel, CT) added a goal and three helpers.
• Senior midfielder Samantha Lawlor (Brookfield, CT) and sophomore attacker Caroline Galligan (Marshfield, MA) each chipped in a pair of goals for the Colonials.
• The Colonials scored the game's first goal on a Galligan goal with 25:17 left in the first half. The hosts scored four more tallies in the first half to lead, 5-0, at halftime.
• Western Connecticut scored four more to open the second stanza to build a 9-0 advantage before Ritchie scored with 18:31 left in the game. The hosts scored three more times over the final 13 minutes to earn their third LEC win of the year.
• Sophomore netminder Jennifer Sawicki (Westbury, NY) wasn't tested much as she improved to 9-3 overall and turned aside a single shot for the Colonials.
• Western Connecticut finished with an advantage in shots (45-5), ground balls (42-25) and draw controls (9-6).
• Ritchie finished with two ground balls and three draw controls. Freshman midfielder Olivia Carpenito (Wilmington, MA) and Eaton led the Anchorwomen with four ground balls apiece.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday, April 17 (7 p.m.).