Providence, R.I.—Sophomore midfielder Giana Ritchie (Cumberland, RI) notched four goals as the Rhode Island College women's lacrosse team posted a 16-5 victory against Elms in a non-conference contest played at Alumni Field on Wednesday evening.
Rhode Island College 16, Elms 5
Rhode Island College (4-5)
Elms College (7-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman midfielder Olivia Carpenito (Wilmington, MA) tallied three goals and added an assist, while sophomore midfielder Madison McKenna (Cumberland, RI) also had three goals and an assist in the win.
• Senior attack Vanessa Vurno (Salem, CT) led the way for Elms with one goal and an assist.
• Senior goalkeeper Julia Eaton (Cumberland, RI) tallied 13 saves in the victory for RIC.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Emily Huber (Jefferson, ME) had 21 stops in the loss for Elms.
• RIC raced out to the early, 7-0, advantage, which included three goals from Ritchie and two from Carpenito.
• Elms got on the board with a goal from Garcia with 17:20 left in the first half, making the score 7-1.
• RIC controlled the action for the rest of the stanza and took a 10-2 lead heading into halftime after outshooting Elms by a 30-11 margin.
• The Anchorwomen took their first double digit advantage of the contest when Ritchie scored her 26th goal of the season and fourth of the game to put the hosts up by 10, 13-3, with 14:22 left on the clock.
• RIC then cruised to the victory. The Anchorwomen led in shots (43-20), ground balls (34-32) and draw controls (15-8).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action at Western Connecticut on Saturday, April 13 (1 p.m.).