Bristol, R.I.--Rhode Island College freshman midfielder Madison McKenna (Cumberland, RI) scored her first collegiate goal, as the women's lacrosse team opened the 2018 campaign with a 21-1 setback at Roger Williams on Saturday afternoon.
Roger Williams 21, Rhode Island College 1
(Rhode Island College 0-1)
(Roger Williams 3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Roger Williams took the early lead when a goal from senior midfielder Kaelin Hogan (Bethel, CT) put the Hawks up, 1-0, just 2:08 into the contest.
• Sophomore midfielder Shayne Rivard (Easton, CT) scored what would prove to be the game-winning goal for the Hawks with 27:39 left in the first half.
• The Hawks jumped out to a 7-0 advantage before McKenna put RIC on the board with 13:13 left in the first half on an unassisted tally to make the score 7-1.
• Roger Williams held a 14-1 lead at halftime. The Hawks scored seven in the second half, while keeping RIC off the scoreboard over the final 30 minutes. Hogan notched seven goals in the win.
• Sophomore Lydia Nelson (Center Moriches, NY) picked up the win in net for Roger Williams.
• RIC junior goalkeeper Julia Eaton (Cumberland, RI) made 15 saves in the loss for the Anchorwomen.
• The Hawks held a 40-2 advantage in shots.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Dean on Thursday, March 15 (4 p.m.).