Providence, R.I.—Freshman forward Taylor Thompson (Greenville, SC) scored a team-high 12 points as the Rhode Island College women's basketball team wrapped up the 2018-19 regular season with a 63-52 win over UMass Boston in Little East action played at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
The win sets up a rematch between the two clubs in the first round of the 2019 Little East Championship on Tuesday, Feb. 19 when the No. 5-seeded Anchorwomen will travel to the No. 4-seeded Beacons.
Rhode Island College 63, UMass Boston 52
Rhode Island College (17-8, 9-7 LEC)
UMass Boston (17-8, 10-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Thompson netted 12 points on 4-of-8 shooting in 19 minutes off the bench. She also contributed three boards, one assist and a steal.
• Sophomore guard Sophia Guerrier (Waltham, MA) had 11 points, eight rebounds, three blocks, two steals and an assist. Junior forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) pitched in with 10 points, five boards, three steals and two assists.
• Freshman forward Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) posted a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Junior guard Jordyn Gauvin (Seekonk, MA) rounded out the RIC scorers in double figures with 10 points
• UMass Boston sophomore guard Tahjai Mazyck (Hamden, CT) had 13 points, four rebounds, four assists and two steals for the visitors. Classmate forward Joie Grassi (Plymouth, MA) had 12 points and six rebounds.
• The hosts opened the game on a 10-2 run, keyed by a pair of layups from Guerrier. The visitors answered right back with a 10-2 run of their own, paced by three-pointers from Grassi and sophomore guard Whitney Fulton (Norwalk, CT), to tie the game.
• RIC went on a 7-0 run, with Guerrier contributing four points, to lead by seven, 19-12, only to see UMB storm back with a 7-0 run to tie the game at 19 apiece.
• A Grassi three-pointer with 3:13 left in the second quarter gave the Beacons their first lead of the game, 24-21, and a pair of Mazyck free throws sent UMB into halftime up by three, 28-25.
• UMass Boston held a lead for much of the third quarter until a free throw by freshman forward Analeesia Fernandes (Taunton, MA) knotted the game, 40-40, with 2:46 left in the frame. Thompson converted a layup with 1:15 left in the third to send RIC into the final quarter leading by a pair, 42-40.
• A Guerrier trey sent RIC on an 9-0 run to lead, 51-42, with 5:27 remaining in the game. A pair of Young free throws with 1:37 left put RIC up by 13, 60-47, and seal the win for the Anchorwomen.
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen shot 40 percent (22-for-55) from the field, 30 percent (3-for-10) from three-point range and 62 percent (16-for-26) from the free throw line.
• UMass Boston shot 33 percent (18-for-5654 from the field, 55 percent (6-for-11) from the three-point line and 53 percent (10-for-19) from the free throw line.
• RIC dominated the glass, 50-31. Both teams had nine turnovers in the contest.