Providence, R.I.—Sophomore guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) scored 16 points, grabbed four rebounds and handed two assists to help the Rhode Island College women's basketball team to a 60-42 victory against Keene State in a Little East Conference contest played at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 60, Keene State 42
Keene State (3-20, 1-14 LEC)
Rhode Island College (15-8, 7-7 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) tallied 12 points, six rebounds, four assists and three steals.
• Freshman Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) was also in double figures with 10 points, two rebounds and two assists in the win for the Anchorwomen.
• Sophomore guard Lilly Shlimon (Pelham, NH) led the way for Keene State with a game-high 21 points and four rebounds, while senior guard Emily McPadden (Tyngsborough, MA) pulled down a game-high 11 boards and chipped in with three points in the loss for the Owls.
• RIC grabbed control of the game early, taking its first double-digit lead when a three-pointer from Young put the Anchorwomen ahead by 12, 19-7, with just over a minute left in the first quarter. RIC led, 25-8, after the first quarter of play.
• The Anchorwomen pushed their lead to as many as 25 points in the first half as a layup from freshman guard Maire Gallagher (Worcester, MA) put RIC up by 25, 36-11, with 5:33 left in the first half. RIC held the 36-15 lead at halftime after shooting 52 percent (14-for-27) from the field and outrebounding Keene State by a 21-11 margin.
• RIC posted its largest lead of the contest, 53-24, on a jumper from freshman guard Laura Martin (Weare, NH) with :35 left in the third quarter. The Anchorwomen held the 53-27 advantage after three quarters of play and sailed past the Owls in the fourth for the important league victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen shot 48 percent (24-for-50) from the field, 25 percent (5-for-20) from three-point range and 88 percent (7-for-8) from the free throw line.
• Keene State shot 29 percent (16-for-56) from the field, 26 percent (5-for-19) from the three-point line and 71 percent (5-for-7) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Keene State by a 38-39 margin in the victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at Western Connecticut on Wednesday, Feb. 13 (5:30 p.m.).