Providence, R.I.—Junior guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) scored a game-high 18 points and hauled down four rebounds as the Rhode Island College women's basketball team suffered a hard-fought, 63-58, overtime setback against Southern Maine in a Little East Conference contest played at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
Southern Maine 63, Rhode Island College 58 (OT)
Southern Maine (12-6, 8-3 LEC)
Rhode Island College (12-7, 5-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) added 15 points and two rebounds, while classmate backcourt mate Sophia Guerrier (Waltham, MA) was also in double figures with 10 points, five assists and three boards.
• Junior forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) added six points and a game-high 13 rebounds the loss for the Anchorwomen.
• Southern Maine was led by sophomore guard Kristen Curley (Gorham, ME) with 16 points, three rebounds and three assists.
• Senior forward Kimberly Howrigan (Fairfield, VT) had 14 points and five boards in the win for the Huskies.
• RIC took a four point lead several times in the early going, including a three-pointer from Young to give the Anchorwomen the 14-10 lead at the end of the first quarter.
• Southern Maine controlled the action in the second stanza and used a 10-0 run to open up the quarter, capped by a three-pointer from senior guard Alexa Srolovitz (Montreal, Quebec), to take a 20-14 lead with 6:41 left in the first half.
• The visiting Huskies led, 26-18, at halftime.
• Southern Maine pushed the lead to 11 points early in the third quarter when a free throw from junior guard Jackie Luckhardt (Londonderry, NH) made the score 29-18 with 8:57 on the clock.
• RIC then used a 14-4 run to cut the lead down to just one point after a three-pointer from Young put the score at 33-32 with 3:53 left in the third quarter. USM held a 40-34 advantage after three quarters of play.
• Southern Maine posted the double-digit lead, 46-36 with 5:52 left in regulation.
• The Anchorwomen climbed all the way back and tied the game at 54-54 on a jumper from Gauvin with :52 left. Gauvin had the ball in the final seconds with a chance to win the game, but her jumper at the buzzer was off the mark.
• The two teams traded leads early in overtime with the score knotted 58-58 with 2:22 remaining. Southern Maine would then score the last five points of the game to take the 63-58 overtime victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen shot 30.8 percent (20-for-65) from the field, 40.0 percent (8-for-20) from three-point range and 58.8 percent (10-for-17) from the free throw line.
• Southern Maine shot 43.1 percent (25-for-58) from the field, 33.3 percent (3-for-12) from the three-point line and 69.2 percent (9-for-13) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Southern Maine by a 49-37 margin.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East play at Castleton on Wednesday, Jan. 30 (5:30 p.m.).