Chicopee, Mass.—Sophomore guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) scored a game-high 19 points to lead the Rhode Island College women's basketball team to a 58-44 win at Elms' Picknelly Arena on Tuesday evening.
Rhode Island College 58, Elms 44
Rhode Island College (2-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Young connected on four three-pointers and converted 5-of-6 from the free throw line in the win. She also had three rebounds.
• Freshman forward Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) pitched in with 10 points, nine boards and two blocks. Sophomore guard Sophia Guerrier (Waltham, MA) just missed a double-figure effort with nine points to go along with four steals.
• Elms was led by junior guard Molly Moulton (North Adams, MA) and sophomore backcourt mate Regina LeBlanc (Enfield, CT) with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
• The Anchorwomen led, 20-11, after the first quarter and, 30-20, at halftime. Rhode Island College led, 44-34, after three quarters and cruised to the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen shot 41 percent (22-for-54) from the field, 29 percent (4-for-14) from three-point range and 59 percent (10-for-17) from the free throw line.
• Elms shot 26 percent (13-for-50) from the field, 33 percent (2-for-6) from the three-point line and 67 percent (16-for-24) from the charity stripe.
• The Anchorwomen dominated the glass, holding a 48-29 advantage in rebounding. The two teams combined for 54 (RIC: 29; Elms: 25) turnovers.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face Wentworth in first round action of the Wheaton Tournament on Friday, Nov. 16 (7:30 p.m.).