Providence, R.I.--Junior forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) posted a double-double with 18 points, 13 rebounds, five steals, three assists and two blocks to lead the Rhode Island College women's basketball team to a commanding, 84-46, win over Salem State in the 2018-19 season opener at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 84, Salem State 46
Salem State (0-1)
Rhode Island College (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman guard Abby Phelan (Norton, MA) scored 16 points in her collegiate debut.
• Junior guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) notched 11 points, while freshman forward Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) and classmate guard Maire Gallagher (Worcester, MA) each recorded eight points in the win
• Junior guard Gianna Mischella (Peabody, MA) led the way for Salem State with 15 points and three assists. Senior forward Kia Fernandes (Wareham, MA) added 11 points and six rebounds in the loss for the Vikings.
• The two teams battled back and forth throughout the first quarter with RIC holding a 13-11 advantage at the first intermission
• RIC used an 11-0 run to start the second quarter, capped by a layup from freshman forward Analeesia Fernandes (Taunton, MA), to take a 24-11 advantage with 5:07 left in the first half.
• The Anchorwomen led, 31-20, lead at halftime.
• RIC pushed its lead to 21 points when a three-pointer from Young made the score 45-24 with 6:09 remaining in the third quarter. The Anchorwomen held the 58-39 lead after three quarters of action. RIC added to its advantage throughout the final stanza and cruised to the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 55.2 percent (32-of-58) from the field, 48.0 percent (12-of-25) from the three-point line and 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from the free throw line.
• Salem State shot 26.4 percent (14-of-53) from the field, 20.0 percent (3-of-15) from the three-point line and 88.2 percent (15-of-17) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Salem State by a 40-27 margin and forced Vikings into 23 turnovers
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Elms on Wednesday, Nov. 14 (7 p.m.).