Plymouth, N.H.-Sophomore forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) posted a double-double with 10 points, 13 rebounds, three assists and three steals as Rhode Island College fell to Plymouth State, 61-51, in Little East Conference women's basketball action played at Foley Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
Plymouth State 61, Rhode Island College 51
Plymouth State (7-18, 3-11 LEC)
Rhode Island College (9-16, 2-12 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Freshman guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) scored a career-high 18 points to go along with seven rebounds, two assists and four steals.
• PSU had four players score in double figures, led by junior guard Cassidy Emerson (Concord, NH) with 17 points, eight rebounds and five steals.
• The Panthers led by one, 13-12, after the first quarter. PSU led by eight, 30-22, with 1:28 left in the half, but a pair of Stewart free throws pulled RIC within six at the break.
• A Young jumper gave RIC its first advantage since the opening minutes, 31-30 with 7:28 left in the third. Young canned a three-pointer to put the Anchorwomen up by a team-best five, 37-32, with 5:48 left, but the hosts embarked on a 9-2 run to lead by two, 41-39, after three.
• The closest RIC would get to PSU in the final quarter was three points, but the Panthers quickly put up some points to pull away and earn the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 35 percent (17-for-49) from the field, 39 percent (7-fo-18) from beyond the three-point arc and 67 percent (10-for-15) from the free throw line.
• PSU shot 43 percent (23-for-53) from the field, 13 percent (1-for-8) from downtown and 70 percent (14-for-20) from the charity stripe.
• RIC dominated the glass, 41-27, but committed 29 turnovers compared to the host's 12 miscues.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College is the No. 8 seed in the upcoming 2018 Little East Conference Women's Basketball Championship and will play at top-seeded UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday, Feb. 20.