Providence, R.I.-Sophomore forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) posted a career and game-high 24 points to go along with 14 rebounds as Rhode Island College lost a hard-fought contest, 65-59, vs. UMass Boston at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
UMass Boston 65, Rhode Island College 59
UMass Boston (17-2, 8-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (7-11, 1-8 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) had 16 points, three boards, two assists and two steals.
• Freshman guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) pitched in with 11 points and drained three three-pointers.
• UMass Boston freshman center Shania Osborne (Fairfield, CT) narrowly missed a double-double effort with a team-high 19 points, nine rebounds and three blocks.
• UMB freshman forward Joie Grassi (Plymouth, MA) posted 13 points, while senior forward Raven Kelsey (Boston, MA) registered 10 points.
• The Anchorwomen opened the first quarter on a 5-0 run, capped by a layup from Livramento. UMass Boston battled back and took the lead, 16-14 on a three-pointer by freshman guard Megan Dixon (Hanover, MA) with 1:36 left in the stanza. The visitors led by three, 20-17, at the end of the first frame as Dixon converted a layup in the final seconds.
• A RIC freshman guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) three-pointer tied the game 17 seconds into the second half and kicked off a 9-0 run by the hosts to go up by six, 28-22, with 7:19 left in the half. Two free throws by UMB freshman forward Geanna Williams (Cromwell, CT) pulled the Beacons within a pair, 30-28, with 4:02 left, but RIC erupted for a 10-3 run to close out the half to go up by nine, 30-31.
• A Young three-pointer with 5:57 left in the third gave RIC its largest lead, 48-32, but the visitors steadily trimmed away at their deficit to trail by just five, 51-46, at the end of three.
• A three-pointer by UMB freshman guard Jalani Jackson (Brockton, MA) put the Beacons on top by two, 53-51, with seven minutes left in the game. A Livramento jumper regained the advantage for RIC, 59-58, with 1:39 left, but a bucket and foul shot by Osborne on the ensuing possession put UMB back on top. A key layup by Kelsey helped seal the win with 33 seconds remaining.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 44 percent (22-for-50) from the field, 36 percent (5-for-14) from downtown and 67 percent (10-for-15) from the free throw line.
• UMB shot 41 percent 922-for-54) from the field, 29 percent (5-for-17) from beyond the three-point arc and 55 percent (16-for-29) from the charity stripe.
• UMB outrebounded RIC, 37-31. RIC turned the ball over 19 times, while the visitors committed 15 miscues.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Wesleyan on Tuesday, Jan. 30 (7 p.m.).