Boston, Mass.-Sophomore forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) narrowly missed a double-double with 11 points and nine rebounds as the Rhode Island College women's basketball team dropped a 62-51 decision at UMass Boston in a Little East Conference contest played at the Clark Athletic Center on Saturday afternoon.
UMass Boston 62, Rhode Island College 51
(Rhode Island College 6-4, 0-2 LEC)
(UMass Boston 8-1, 2-0 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) tallied a team-high 12 points, six rebounds and four assists.
• Senior guard Amber DeCristofaro (Smithfield, RI) recorded eight points and five boards in the setback for the Anchorwomen.
• Freshman guard Tahjai Mazyck (Hamden, CT) led the way for UMass Boston with 14 points and five rebounds.
• Freshman forward Joie Grassi (Plymouth, MA) added 10 points and five boards in the win for the Beacons.
• UMass Boston led by as many as four points early in the first quarter before taking a 12-10 advantage into the first intermission.
• The host Beacons took their largest lead of the first half when a three-pointer by freshman forward Geanna Williams (Cromwell, CT) made it 29-22 with 2:24 left in the stanza.
• UMass Boston held a 31-24 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• The Beacons pushed their advantage to nine points on several occasions in the third quarter before RIC cut the lead down to just one point, 44-43, on a layup from sophomore forward Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI) at the end of the quarter.
• A layup from Brielmaier just :16 into the fourth quarter gave the Anchorwomen their first lead, 45-44, since early in the contest.
• UMass Boston responded and used a 7-0 run, capped by a four-point play from freshman guard Megan Dixon (Hanover, MA), to regain the, 51-45, advantage.
• The Beacons then pulled away down the stretch to take the 11-point victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 37.3 percent (22-of-59) from the field, 27.8 percent (5-of-18) from the three-point line and 20.0 percent (2-of-10) from the free throw line.
• UMass Boston shot 41.1 percent (23-of-56) from the field, 18.8 percent (3-of-16) from the three-point line and 61.9 percent (13-of-21) from the free throw line.
• UMass Boston outrebounded RIC by a 40-36 margin.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Lasell on Thursday, Jan. 4 (5:30 p.m.).