Wenham, Mass.--Sophomore forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) recorded a double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Rhode Island College women's basketball team to a 56-43 victory against Elms at the 2017 Gordon Invitational played at the Bennett Center on Friday evening.
Rhode Island College 56, Elms 43
(Elms College 0-2)
(Rhode Island College 2-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) scored a game-high 23 points and contributed three rebounds, three assists and three steals
• Senior guard Jessa Rubera (Newton, MA) notched nine points.
• Elms was led by senior guard Mackenzie LaRochelle (Chicopee, MA) with nine points and eight rebounds, while sophomore guard Molly Moulton (North Adams, MA) added nine points and three boards in the loss.
• The two teams traded leads throughout the first quarter with RIC holding a 10-9 advantage after 10 minutes of action.
• The Anchorwomen took their largest lead of the first half with 5:55 left on the clock when a layup from Rubera made the score 22-15.
• Elms then closed out the half on a 10-2 run to take a 25-24 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• The third quarter belonged to RIC as the Anchorwomen opened on a 12-2 run to take a 36-27 advantage on a three-pointer from Gauvin with 5:43 left in the frame.
• RIC held a 42-31 lead after three quarters of play.
• Elms cut the lead down to five, 48-43, on a jumper from LaRochelle with 4:06 left in the contest, but RIC closed the game with an 8-0 run to seal the 56-43 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 41.9 percent (26-of-62) from the field, 20.0 percent (2-of-10) from the three-point line and 50.0 percent (2-of-4) from the free throw line.
• Elms shot 33.3 percent (16-of-48) from the field, 50.0 percent (4-of-8) from the three-point line and 53.8 percent (7-of-13) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Elms by a 37-33 margin and forced the Blazers into 31 turnovers in the contest.
RIC will take on Manhattanville in the second round of the Gordon Invitational on Saturday, Nov. 18 (1 p.m.).