Providence, R.I.--The Rhode Island softball team split a crucial Little East Conference doubleheader with UMass Boston at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex on Friday evening.
Seniors Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI), Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA), Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) and Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) were honored in a ceremony prior to the twinbill as part of Senior Day.
UMass Boston took the 7-6 win in the opener before RIC rallied for the 1-0 shutout win in the nightcap.
Game One: UMass Boston 7, Rhode Island College 6
Game Two: Rhode Island College 1, UMass Boston 0
RIC (16-12, 3-7 LEC)
UMB (20-13, 6-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman second baseman Marissa Cushman (Cranston, RI) went 2-for-2 with a pair of runs scored, while freshman designated hitter Katrina Kazen (Warwick, RI) was 1-for-3 with two RBI in the loss.
• Senior catcher Roxanne Vento (Arlington, MA) led the way for UMass Boston, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored, two homers and four RBI.
• Gough took the loss (9-6) for the Anchorwomen.
• Junior starter Jess Greenspan (Rocky Hills, CT) notched the win (14-5) for UMass Boston, giving up six runs on six hits with five strikeouts in the complete-game victory.
• UMass Boston jumped out the early lead when an RBI single from Vento gave the Beacons the 1-0 advantage.
• RIC answered in the bottom of the second when a two-run home run (1) from junior shortstop Kelsey Burgess (North Providence, RI) to put the Anchorwomen up, 2-1.
• A two-run double to left from Kazen in the bottom of the third extended RIC's lead to 4-1.
• The Beacons used a pair of runs in the top of the fourth, including an RBI single from senior right fielder Taylor Pawlina (Woonsocket, RI), to cut the lead down to one, 4-3.
• Gough belted a two-run double in the bottom of the fourth to extend the Anchorwomen's lead to 6-3.
• UMB plated a pair of runs in the top of the fifth, including Vento's solo HR in the top of the fifth, to pull within one, 6-5, once again.
• The Beacons regained the lead in the top of the sixth when a two-run blast from Vento put the Beacons ahead for good.
• Cushman was 1-for-3 with an RBI in the victory for RIC.
• Vento was 2-for-3 in the loss for UMass Boston.
• Fleming posted the win (6-4) for RIC, throwing seven scoreless innings to go along with two strikeouts for the Anchorwomen.
• Freshman pitcher Hayley Catania (Amesbury, MA) took the loss (6-6) for UMB, allowing one run on three hits in six innings.
• Simmons led off with a single, stole second and scored as Cushman knocked in the game's only run in the bottom of the first with an RBI single to center.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action with a doubleheader at Keene State on Tuesday, April 23 (3:30 p.m.).