Providence, R.I.—The Rhode Island College softball team was swept by UMass Dartmouth in a Little East Conference doubleheader played at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex on Saturday afternoon. UMass Dartmouth took the opener, 5-3, and finished the sweep with a 13-3 win (five innings).
Game One: UMass Dartmouth 5, Rhode Island College 3
Game Two: UMass Dartmouth 13, Rhode Island College 3 (five innings)
RIC (10-8, 1-3 LEC)
UMD (13-13, 6-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) went 3-for-3 with a run scored and three RBI. Senior catcher Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
• UMD junior first baseman Cierra Sheerin (Bridgewater, MA) went 2-for-3 with a run scored and two RBI, while freshman right fielder Rachel Pereira (Dartmouth, MA) also had a pair of hits in the win.
• Gough suffered the loss (6-4) in the pitching circle for RIC, allowing five runs on seven hits to go along with eight strikeouts.
• Sophomore pitcher Jill Richards (Kingston, MA) picked up the win (5-7) for UMD, allowing three runs on eight hits to go along with five strikeouts.
• Gough helped her own cause when she belted a two-run home run (1) in the bottom of the first to put the Anchorwomen up by a pair, 2-0.
• Gough's RBI single in the bottom of the third gave RIC a 3-0 advantage.
• UMass Dartmouth took the lead in the top of the fourth when they plated four runs, including a two run single from freshman catcher Lindsay Chubbuck (Berkley, MA), to go up by one, 4-3.
• The Corsairs added an insurance run in the top of the seventh when a solo home run from Sheerin increased the visitor's advantage to 5-3.
• The Anchorwomen sent the tying run to the plate in the seventh, but couldn't capitalize as UMD held on for the victory.
• Gough went 2-for-2 with a pair of RBI in the setback for RIC.
• Sophomore second baseman Averi Soares (New Bedford, MA) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI, while sophomore center fielder Kylie Fletcher (Dighton, MA) went 2-for-2 with three runs scored and five RBI.
• Freshman Anna Kerwood (Florence, MA) (4-4) picked up the win for UMD, allowing one run on five hits in four innings of work.
• Freshman starter Reilly Clancey (Narragansett, RI) took the loss (1-2) for RIC, allowing four runs on two hits.
• UMD struck early with four runs in the first inning, including a two run single from freshman third baseman Autumn Medeiros (Swansea, MA), for the 4-0 lead.
• RIC chipped away at the lead in the bottom of the frame when an RBI single from Gough made the score 4-1.
• The visiting corsairs extended the lead to 8-1 in the second on a grand slam from sophomore left fielder Kylie Fletcher (Dighton, MA).
• UMD added four runs in the third, including a two-run home run from Richards, to take a 12-1 advantage. RIC plated two runs in its final at-bat in the fifth as the game ended early due to the eight-run rule.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at doubleheader at Bridgewater State on Sunday, April 7 (1 p.m.).