Providence, R.I.—The Rhode Island College softball team won for the ninth time in their last 10 games with a doubleheader sweep vs. Mitchell on Wednesday afternoon at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex. The Anchorwomen took game one, 12-4 (six innings), and the nightcap, 10-1 (five innings) to complete the sweep.
Game One: Rhode Island College 12, Mitchell 4 (six innings)
Game Two: Rhode Island College 10, Mitchell 1 (five innings)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC pounded out 15 hits and scored 12 runs as senior starter Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) allowed just one earned run on five hits to go along with seven strikeouts in six innings of work to secure the win (6-3).
• Gough also powered the offense, going 3-for-3 with a run scored, four RBI, a double and a walk. Sophomore right fielder Erica Fluskey (Trumbull, CT) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, two RBI and a double.
• The Anchorwomen jumped all over Mitchell senior starter Suzanne Vachon (East Hartford, CT) in the top of the first, scoring four times. Gough and Fluskey each smacked two-run doubles in the frame.
• The Mariners scored three unearned runs in the third, highlighted by a freshman catcher Alex Lopez (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) two-run double, to pull within a run, 4-3.
• RIC put one across in the fourth and four in the fifth, helped by three Mitchell errors, to go up by seven, 10-3. Freshman designated player Jamie Mahoney (Brattleboro, VT) knocked in one with an RBI bunt single with the bases loaded and a wild pitch brought the game to an early end in the sixth.
• Fluskey knocked in three, while senior catcher Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI), senior third baseman Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI) and freshman designated player Katrina Kazen (Warwick, RI) all had two hits apiece, as the Anchorwomen scored 10 runs on 12 hits.
• Senior pitcher Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) allowed just one run on five hits in five innings of work to pick up her third (3-2) win.
• The Mariners made six errors in the nightcap, bringing their total to nine for the day. Senior starter Taylor Duchesneau (Killingly, CT) took the loss (3-5), allowing just three earned runs in four innings of work.
• After two runs in the first, RIC put up four in both the second and third to build a 10-0 lead. Fluskey ripped a bases loaded, three-run double in the second, while freshman left fielder Britney Walsh (Bridgewater, MA) knocked in two with a single in the third.
• The visitors scored once in the fifth, but Fleming got a double play to end the contest early.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action with a doubleheader at home vs. UMass Dartmouth on Saturday, April 6 (noon).