Providence, R.I.--The Rhode Island College softball team swept the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in a non-conference doubleheader played at the Bazar Softball Complex on Sunday afternoon. The Anchormen posted a 13-3 win in the opener and finished the sweep with a 19-1 win in the nightcap. Both games were ended in the fifth inning due to the eight-run rule.
Game One: Rhode Island College 13, MCLA 3 (five innings)
Game Two: Rhode Island College 9, MCLA 1 (five innings)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• MCLA junior second baseman Erika Quackenbush (Hoosick Falls, NY) was 2-for-3 with one run scored and one RBI in the loss.
• Senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) recorded her third win (3-2) of the season for RIC, allowing three runs on four hits to go along with four strikeouts in five innings of work. She also helped her cause at the plate, going 2-for-2 with two runs scored and three RBI.
• Junior Kara Adams (Walden, NY) took the loss (0-7) for MCLA, allowing six runs on nine hits in 2.2 innings.
• MCLA took the early 2-0 lead in the top of the first on a two-run home run by junior third baseman Kaylyn Holliday (Catskill, NY).
• RIC responded in the bottom of the first on a sacrifice fly from Gough to cut the lead down to one, 2-1. The Anchormen then knotted the game 2-2 in the bottom of the second on an RBI single from Walsh.
• RIC took its first lead of the game after plating four runs in the bottom of the third, which included a two-run single from Walsh, to take the 6-2 lead. The Anchorwomen then tacked on four more in the bottom of the fourth en route to a 10-2 advantage.
• MCLA used an RBI single from Quackenbush in the top of the fifth to force the Anchorwomen to bat in the home half of the frame.
• Cushman then belted her fourth home run of the season, a three-run walk off bomb, to right center to propel the Anchorwomen to the 13-3 victory.
• RIC senior center fielder Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) went 1-for-2 with one run scored and four RBI, while sophomore first baseman Amber Wainwright (Taunton, MA) went 2-for-2 with a run scored and three RBI.
• Junior shortstop Kayla Baker (Shrewsbury, MA) and Adams each had a pair of hits in the loss for MCLA.
• RIC freshman pitcher Reilly Clancy (Narragansett, RI) notched her first collegiate win (1-0) in the pitching circle, allowing one run on five hits with one strikeout in three innings.
• Freshman Morgan Watson (Portland, OR) took the loss (0-1) for MCLA.
• RIC got all the offense it would need in the bottom of the second when it pushed across nine runs, highlighted by a grand slam from Simmons, en route to the 9-1 victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play a doubleheader at Roger Williams on Tuesday, March 26 (3 p.m.).